Background

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Social Disconnect Or Simply A Different Life Path?

I admit it, I am probably not stereotypical for society’s view of what a typical homeschooling mom looks like.  I am probably not stereotypical for society’s idea of a typical Christian mom these days either.  But is that so wrong?

I am proud of being a homeschooling mom.  It is extremely satisfying to watch my children learn and blossom.  I saw a comment somewhere from a non-homeschooler about homeschooling parents making their kids “as stupid as they are”.  Oh please!  

With the wealth of resources available to us we are learning things as a family that my husband and I had never learned in all of our years of school. 

My wish is like that of Jim and Karen Stobaugh, founders of For Such A Time As This.  We had the joy of listening to their son, Peter, speak at a homeschool convention earlier this year.  Listening to this bright and articulate young man was like listening to a man well beyond his years in wisdom and grace.  According to Peter, his parents’ wish was for “their ceiling to be his floor”.  Their wish was that their children would far exceed the path that they had tread.  What an inspiration for homeschooling families everywhere!

My husband and I not only have this wish for our children as students, but as Christians as well.  As a family we do not value many of the things that others do.  Like Jesus, our family is not just those related to us by blood, but by faith.  We look to God to teach us how to better serve in the ways that He sees fit, rather than to value what society cares about.  Of course, just as in our academic studies, in faith we are always learning and growing. 

And I wouldn’t have it any other way! Winking smile

Lord thank you for your guidance in life and in family.  Please continue to provide for us in the ways that you see fit.  Help us to learn and grow to your glory and honor.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment